Saturday, August 25, 2012

Comic Review: A Study in Scarlet


I've always told myself that I'd read all of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and it hasn't happened yet.
I keep saying to myself "Oh, I'll get to it...after I read this."
Ben and I did listen to some of the stories on audiobook while packing up the apartment.
They seemed to be towards the end of the series.
A Study in Scarlet is the start of Sherlock Holmes series. It introduces Dr. Watson and Holmes.
The mystery deals with poison and Mormons. It was really entertaining but also a little odd (Mormons? Who knew they were so vicious).
This graphic novel was listed as an Illustrated Classic which means it was safe for children. Considering the time period that the story was original written I doubt it needed to be censored for content. 
I liked the graphic novel version it was still text heavy but it was split up enough that it was a fairly quick read. 
I was weary about the art at first-it's very caricature like- but the coloring was very detailed and it all work well together.
I would like to read the others in this series as well.

I also watched the first episode of the first season of the BBC series Sherlock.
A Study in Pink
It was extremely well done and I can see why the fandom is fierce.
So fierce it's a little off putting...

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment